Donating Used Books and More
The Spruce Grove Public Library is grateful to the community for the various donations that we receive. As a registered charity, SGPL can issue you a charitable tax receipt for a portion of the total value of the materials we add to our collection! What is not accepted into our collection is sold in the Friends of the Spruce Grove Library quarterly book sales or distributed throughout our community in our Little Free Libraries program. The proceeds go towards funding the purchase of new materials, sponsoring programs, and more.
However, SGPL must follow established guidelines as set out in our Library Policy for the development of our collection. Please read below to learn about the criteria we follow for donation vetting. If your items match the library's criteria for acceptable donations, please fill out the Gift and Materials Release Form and bring it to the library with your donation.
What we can make use of:
- Current or popular authors, fiction or nonfiction in excellent condition
- Children’s titles in excellent condition
- Movies on DVD and Blu-ray with original packaging and in excellent condition
- Newer Music CDs and Books on CD with original packaging and in excellent condition
- Xbox One, PlayStation 5, and Nintendo Switch format games with original packaging and in excellent condition
What we cannot make use of:
- Older items (published over 5 years ago)
- Advance readers copies
- Textbooks or encyclopedia sets
- Back issues of magazines or journals
- Older formats of videogames, VHS, cassettes, records, computer software, and other obsolete/outdated audiovisual formats
- Items discarded by other libraries
- Materials in poor condition: yellowed pages, water damaged, moldy, torn, written in, highlighted, or possessed of other physical damage
Other places to donate materials in good condition:
Goodwill Industries of Alberta
Accepts books. Items should be in good condition for resale. Drop off only. Click the link for location hours.
The Mustard Seed
Accepts books. Will be given to people in need in the inner city. Drop off Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm.
Address: 10568-114 Street. Edmonton
*For material of local historical value only
Address: 120 Railway Avenue, Spruce Grove
EMCO Building Products
Accepts books: Hard & soft cover. No glossy/plastic lined hardcover books.
Will buy various types of paper in bulk amounts. Must have at least 250 lbs. Call first. Drop-off only.
Phone: 780-466-1135 ext. 333
Address: 3703-101 Avenue, Edmonton
What about my encyclopedias and textbooks?
Most libraries will not accept encyclopedias and textbooks for a variety of reasons, including: the information within is outdated, or the topic is too specialized for broad public interest. There are other options to ensuring that these texts are reused instead of going to a landfill.